Thursday, May 2, 2013

Don’t Mess with MY Texas: Defending my 2nd Amendment Rights



As a born and bred Texan, I have been raised with traditional, conservative Texan values that include a strong belief in 2nd Amendment rights. My parents, grandparents, and nearly all other relatives  have owned guns. I come from a family of hunting sportsmen and have spent some time during every fall and winter that I can remember on a ranch and waiting to see who can kill the biggest game of the season.
In my family’s home, we have dozens of different types of guns locked safely in a designated vault that it under passcode protection. While at alone at home in highschool, I was terrified when an unidentified vehicle pulled into our driveway and up to the back barn. Instinctively, I went to the vault and retrieved a gun. Having been taught how to properly use a gun since a young age, I felt confident and secure with having some means of protection. Ultimately, the unidentified vehicle ended up being my uncle who came over for an unannounced visit. Had the visitor been not so friendly or welcome, I would have felt completely helpless without a gun to protect myself.
From my personal point of view, I think that restrictive gun legislation is a horrible infringement on our rights as American citizens to bear arms. Individuals like my family and myself should not have these rights stripped from us. To me, this fact stands: Guns do not kill people. People kill people. If a person decides to kill, they will find a way no matter what kind of regulation is enacted. With proper background checks completed, law-abiding, responsible citizens should be able to own and carry a firearm so should they choose. 
For information on current bills pertaining to Texas gun legislation, see The Texas Tribune.


Ashton Theiss 
Blog Post 5 

No comments:

Post a Comment