Monday, April 29, 2013

Why I Care About Teacher Pay

I come from a long line of educators. My great-grandmother taught elementary school in Lubbock, TX. My grandmother taught high school english for 37 years at Paschal High School in Fort Worth. My mother has taught kindergarten for 18 years at Westcliff Elementary in Fort Worth. My cousin teaches elementary school in Aledo, TX. Another cousin is a psychology professor at Yale University in New Haven, CT.

As you can see, the Chilton family likes to teach. That is why I care about HB 176 and the need for an increase in teacher salaries here in Texas as well as nationwide. I believe teachers are underpaid and under appreciated when it comes to government action.

According to a 2011 article, the United States ranked 22nd out of 27 countries when looking at teacher pay. The top countries, minus New Zealand, are all in Europe. This makes sense because teaching in Europe is a highly valued profession, therefore they are paid more.

I am fortunate to have so many passionate family members that are teachers. I have always been told the importance of education, and I will continue to believe in its importance.

Final update: HB 176 is still in education committee.

"A teacher affects eternity: he can never tell where his influence stops."
 - Henry Adams

Preston Chilton
Post 5


No comments:

Post a Comment